Hello from Roanoke, Virginia – the home of Crimson Symphony Media studios and casa Matt Gibson! My name is Matt Gibson and I am a procrastinator.
It is June 4, 2016 and I have been retired from the United States Air Force for 4 years. I don’t have a record and I’m not on tour. Not good enough. It’s not like I haven’t accomplished anything – I DO have over one million people following me on the internet, a hit podcast for musicians and a bunch of cool gear from my favorite companies. Not a bad start! This post is a marker – for me and the entire world to see. IT’S TIME! I am going to finish this record. I need to address some issues first…
So why write about writing an album? I guess it helps me get organized. This post is a marker – for me and the entire world to see. IT’S TIME! I am going to finish this record. Buuut, I need to address some issues first…
Ok so here’s the 100% truth. I am terrified of releasing a finished album on a shoestring budget. I don’t want to be able to say I have a record. There are a LOT of records that nobody should be proud of. I really want to release a record that turns heads and blows minds. I have heard so many records with BORING songs these past few years. Bands complain about record sales and then release a piece of half-assed garbage. No wonder it doesn’t sell. Not me…
I don’t want to sell my rights to a record label. Sure, I would love to have someone else do a bunch of marketing for the record. The problem is, once you sign the contract, they really don’t owe you anything much and there is a chance the cd won’t be promoted (actively marketed) or worse – it may not be released. I’m on my way over the midlife hump and I’m not going to put my hopes and dreams in someone else’s promises. I’ve heard too many bad stories…
Mostly, I just want to show off. Maybe I have chronic lead singer’s disease lol. I want to show the world how an unknown USAF crew chief can build a music and marketing empire out of nothing more than a couple of computers and a guitar. The way I look at it, if I can do it – so can you. That’s inspiring. I like inspiring people.
So anyway, let’s get to it. I am going to be publishing weekly updates and I am asking you for FOUR favors.
- Bug me about finishing the record – don’t worry – you won’t make me mad 😉 Let’s see if we can get this thing finished in 2016?
- Sign up for the email list on this page – this is how I will notify everyone about the album launch
- Follow my pages on all the social media channels you use. They are right beside this post. I could really use some page likes on Facebook – I dropped the ball on that one!
- Tell me your thoughts about how music is a part of your life. If I could make a mind blowing record – what would it need? I’m doing this record for YOU. Talk to me! Leave me a comment below or send me an email – reach out to me on social media – what ever is easy!
Sooo here is PHASE 1 of MY plan:
- Step 1 – Hit the gym and get my eating under control. Bottom line, I’ve gained some weight. I need to lose about 30lbs and tighten up. I have had a rough couple of years personally (implosion of a 25 year marriage for one) and I don’t like what I see in the mirror. That creates a confidence issue – not going to work for a rock frontman \m/\m/
- Step 2 – Finish the recording and production of ONE song
- I will get into the details of what I have to do in my next post
- Shoot video during the process – I have the lights and cameras now – just need the action!
- I want to first song to have some energy so I picked Awakening, which is also the opening riff for the Kingdom of Rock podcast. You can hear it when you listen to my show OR check it out here.
- Step 3 – Edit the videos and relaunch my YouTube channel
- Step 4 – Release 1 one video per week while we make the Music Video for Awakening
- Step 5 – Release the Awakening music video and market it like I am trying to take over the world – because I am…
- Next song, music video and marketing campaign – 3 more times!
- Decision Time – Finish a full album or release an EP – Crowd Fund to hire an experienced team or self-produce?
Well, that’s a lot of work so I better get started. Next week – I will share my plan to finish step ONE. Remember the FOUR favors you can do to help and let’s make 2016 the year of the hard rock revolution \m/\m/. Peace